Sunday, August 25, 2013

Milkin' It Up

Every once and a while, we get to play "Farmers for a day(week)" when our uber cool friends leave their farm for a much more upscale, city kind of life. The duties associated with this task include feeding/watering animals, gathering eggs, and most fun of all-milking three goats, twice a day! 

This morning was extra fun as we prepared for church and left the house at 7:30 in order to get all the chores done in time to gather my own little hens and get them to church by 9:30. This was made even more tricky as my number one partner was out of town to fulfill his  AF guard duties.  I wasn't sure how we would  manage, but somehow we got out of there with curls and make-up intact.  It was awesome! It totally helped that, since I was the one milking, I went in one of Nate's "best" button down shirts, some workout pants, and of course, my cowboy boots! The way our boots look after a few days of farming are probably the way they are supposed to look. We've ditched the polished look for one splattered with milk and chicken poop-Yes! Seriously though, we are having a blast! 

Charly is so cute, as you will notice, she does not want anything to do with the milking process, even the warm milk in the jars grosses her out; I've got her taking care of the chickens and watering, which she is fantastic at! I'm wondering if my little vegetarian will soon be called a vegan. Did I forget to mention that little bit of info in my last few posts? Yup, Charly has decided on her own to be a vegetarian. At first I thought she would quickly put her desires aside for the first sight of a juicy hamburger accompanied with hunger, but she has stuck to her guns and has been non-meat for over a month! Crazy, right?! Piper and Winnie on the other hand, well, they can not get enough of meat, and goat milk.

In other Campbell Family news worth remembering, Piper used the word "flummoxed" while in primary today, and  yes, she used it correctly! She. Is. Awesome! Also worth mentioning- Charly came into a conversation I was having with a friend about foster care, this is what she said, "I think instead of us saving money for a family vacation, we should save to adopt.".  Does that not just make you smile? It's no secret that everyone in the Campbell family is ready for #4, but to hear from Charly such a devotion to that goal just made my heart skip a beat. Whether we are blessed with a baby, or a child to adopt into our family, it's so heartwarming to see the excitement exude from our children. Family is just as important to them as it is to Nate and I, and that makes my heart smile!







No comments:

Post a Comment